Explore Crawford County is the official Destination Marketing Organization (DMO) of Crawford County, Kansas. We are more than a directory of where to eat, play, stay, or have your tournament or meeting in Pittsburg and the surrounding towns. We are responsible for inspiring travelers to view our community as a destination for experiences they will want to return to. We are responsible for promoting our entire community to leisure travelers, business travelers, meeting professionals, and more. We represent tourism and hospitality professionals in our area who serve the traveling public.
Explore Crawford County
P.O. Box 1115
117 W. 4th St.
Pittsburg, KS 66762
Office: +1 (620) 231-1212
(* Eligible for re-election)
- Board Chairperson: Rick Hardy, Ph.D. – Pittsburg State University (Term expires: December 31, 2023*)
- Vice Chair: Nate Davis – Pittsburg State University Athletics (Term expires: December 31, 2022)
- Secretary/Treasurer: Shelby Cannon – Owner, Pearls & Curls (Term expires: December 31, 2023*)
- Ex-Officio: Dave Looby – Director, Explore Crawford County (Destination Marketing Organization/DMO)
- Ex-Officio: Blake Benson – President, Pittsburg Area Chamber of Commerce
- Ex-Officio: Jessica Ripper – Executive Director, Girard Area Chamber of Commerce
- Sookie Fields – Owner, Frisco Event Center and Family Fun Depot (Term expires: December 31, 2023*)
- Lynn Grant – Retired (Term expires: December 31, 2023)
- Pam Henderson – U.S. Senator Jerry Moran (Term expires: December 31, 2022*)
- LaWana Johnson – General Manager, Holiday Inn Express and Suites (Term expires: December 31, 2023*)
- Jeff McKain – General Manager, Kansas Crossing Casino (Term expires: December 31, 2023)
- Courtney Powell – General Manager, Comfort Inn and Suites (Term expires: December 31, 2023*)
- Justin Shaffer – McCune City Council/Craw-Kan Telephone (Term expires: December 31, 2022)
- Sara Vacca – Director, Pittsburg Family YMCA (Term expires: December 31, 2023)
- Bruce Blair
- Jeremy Johnson
- Tom Moody
Explore Crawford County Employees
- Began as a team member in November 2021
- Awards: A finalist for Explore Minnesota’s 2020 Individual In Tourism Award
- Background in tourism: Executive Director for Minneapolis Northwest Tourism from 2007 to 2020. In 2017, he was designated a Certified Destination Management Executive (CDME) from the International Association of Convention and Visitors Bureau’s.
- Bemidji State University graduate – Bachelor of Science in Communications with emphasis in Public Relations
- Currently serves as Vice-Chair of Southeast Kansas Tourism Region
- Member of Pittsburg Noon Rotary Club
- Began as a team member in December 2017
- Background, more than 25 years in media: DJ for KKOW AM & FM, web/social producer for KOAM TV/Fox 14 TV, reporter for Columbus Daily Advocate (evening newspaper at the time), and publicity and community outreach for USD 247 Southeast-Cherokee
- Pittsburg State University graduate – Bachelor of General Studies (2005) and Master of Arts in Communication (2006)
- Pittsburg, Kansas area native
More about Explore Crawford County
The mission of the Crawford County Convention and Visitors Bureau, also known as Explore Crawford County, is to promote travel and tourism in Crawford County, Kansas through sporting events, conventions, conferences and general travel. Utilize attractions, facilities and accommodations to promote travel and economic growth in Crawford County.
Advisory Board Duties & Responsibilities
The Advisory Board provides input to the Crawford County CVB as it seeks to fulfill its mission.
- Full Board Meetings are held the 2nd Wednesday every other month at 8:00 a.m. CST. (February, April, June, August, October & December) – Plus, the Annual Meeting is 2nd Wednesday of January at 12 p.m.
- Executive Committee Meetings are held the 2nd Wednesday every other month at 8 a.m. CST (March, May, July, September & November).
- Budget review
Application to be considered for the Advisory Board
All applicants must be residents of Crawford County, Kansas. Download the file below, limit all answers to available space, then email the document to firstname.lastname@example.org.