The Shrine Bowl is the fundraiser of the year in Kansas to benefit the 22 Shriners Hospitals for Children, where children with orthopedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate are eligible for care regardless of the patients’ ability to pay.
Every four years since 2002, the city of Pittsburg has hosted the Kansas Shrine Bowl. The 2022 Kansas Shrine Bowl will be played on Saturday, July 23, and will be its sixth time at Carnie Smith Stadium. Graduating seniors from throughout the state of Kansas will play in the 49th Annual Shrine Bowl, which will include performances by the Kansas Masonic All-State High School Marching Band and the Shrine Bowl All-Star Cheer Squad.
All Shrine Bowl events are produced and presented to benefit Shriners Hospitals for Children, a health care system of 22 hospitals dedicated to improving the lives of children by providing pediatric specialty care, innovative research, and outstanding teaching programs for medical professionals. Children up to the age of 18 are eligible for care and receive all services in a family-centered environment, regardless of the patients’ ability to pay.
Around 70 graduating high school football players from across the state of Kansas are selected to represent East versus West. Each team has its own week-long camp before meeting for the annual game. More than 180 of Kansas’ best high school musicians also attend a week-long camp, and then perform as the Kansas Masonic All-State High School Marching Band. The band performs at the Shrine Bowl Banquet, leads the Shrine Bowl Parade, then performs in the pre-game and halftime performance of the game itself. The Shrine Bowl All-Star Cheer Squad is one of the most popular cheer clinics available in the state, showcasing cheerleaders from the host community as well as from across Kansas.
Football players, band members, and cheerleaders all take part in Hospital Visitation Day. This is an opportunity for participants to meet kids who have benefited from the Shriners Hospitals for Children.
The 45th Annual Kansas Shrine Bowl will be played Saturday, July 28th, 2018, in Pittsburg, Kansas, at Carnie Smith Stadium on the campus of Pittsburg State University. Kickoff will be at 7:00 pm. Tickets and additional information are available at www.kansasshrinebowl.com or by calling 800-530-5524.
Local media coverage of 2018’s 45th Annual Kansas Shrine Bowl
Gameday at Carnie Smith Stadium in Pittsburg was on July 28, 2018.
- 2018 Kansas Shrine Bowl “Hospital Experience Day” – July 26, 2018 – KOAM-TV
- Fun, fellowship and experience – July 26, 2018 – Pittsburg Morning Sun
- Kansas Shrine Bowl “Hospital Experience Day” – July 26, 2018 – KOAM & Fox 14
- Participants prep for this year’s Kansas Shrine Bowl – July 26, 2018 – KSN/KODE
- Night practice caps busy first day on site for East Team – July 27, 2018 – Joplin Globe
- Shrine Bowl set for Saturday in Pittsburg – July 27, 2018 – KSN 16
- Shriners give children an opportunity to be healed – July 27, 2018 – Pittsburg Morning Sun
- East Squad wins 2018 Kansas Shrine Bowl – July 28, 2018 – KOAM-TV
- East win 45th Annual Kansas Shrine Bowl – July 28, 2018 – KSN 16
- East shine in Shrine Bowl – July 29, 2018 – Pittsburg Morning Sun
- SMC’s Wilson shines in Kansas Shrine Bowl – July 29, 2018 – Joplin Globe
- East holds off West comeback in Shrine Bowl as Albertini, Anderson represent St. Paul, Labette County – July 30, 2018 – Parsons Sun
- Cierra receives a scholarship for dedication to Shrine Bowl – July 31, 2018 – Pittsburg Morning Sun